Next to our trading department, we view logistics as the “lifeline” of the Salzgitter Group. This group is invaluable because of their combined experience of more than 100 years in the handling of commodities. This knowledge base brings essential value to every trade.
Our “LOGISTICIANS”, plan trade implementation and control the efficient cost & flow of our cargo. This group investigates and surveys locations for storing our products in covered warehouses and/or open yard storage facilities. This creates cargo flow from point of origin to final inland destination by any mode of transport necessary.
The Logistics Plan incorporates the following:
- Monitoring operational costs from the onset of our trading department bidding on a project through close liaison with our traders to the inbound, outbound, internal and or external movement of the cargo being negotiated.
- Knowing the product(s) being negotiated, apply the various rates, such as duty, wharfage, terminal handling, warehousing, trucking, insurance (Marine, Domestic and/or Inventory), stevedoring.
- Survey of the product during vessel and/or barge loading, cargo discharging, pre/post inland transporting and at storage facilities.
- Implementation of claim procedures with third parties being held fully responsible for any and all damages to our products while in their care, such as onboard vessels, during overland domestic transportation, close liaison with our Marine attorneys, insurance brokers and/or insurance underwriters, and testifying in a court of law during mediation hearings on loss recoveries.
- Understanding Marine, Domestic and Inventory Insurance practices/policies, Charterer’s Liabilities.
- Versatility in Vessel Charter Parties, laytime calculations, dispatch/demurrage, detentions, general average, Force Majeure, etc.
- Letter Of Credit requirements, documentation presentation, Payments (Receiving and/or Paying).
- Compliance with all standards of the US Customs C-TPAT (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism). We have been a certified and qualifying member of C-TPAT since 2003.
Throughout our history in the steel industry, Salzgitter Mannesmann International (USA)´s logistics department has created a network of reliable partners in the shipping, trucking, barging, warehousing, surveying, and stevedoring operations at home and abroad.
Our goal is to maximize efficiency while minimizing costs and risk, without compromising quality, and create long-term relationships with vendors and customers based on trust and respect.